W201 Basic Principles of Occupational Hygiene training course has been developed by the International Occupational Hygiene Training Association (OHTA) for which BOHS is the UK examining board. It is an introductory course which outlines the broad principles of Occupational Hygiene in the workplace.
The training course will be run as a 3 day Webinar/On-Line event with some dates available as face-to-face training at Hilton Hotel, Leicester.
W201 is recommended for those delegates considering progressing through the BOHS P600 LEV series of courses (P601 , P602 , P603 , P604 ) towards the award of Certificate in Operational Competence (Control); ie CoC(Control). In this case W201 may also enable the applicant to apply to BOHS for Specialist Licentiate status of the Faculty of Occupational Hygiene (LFOH(S)).
As with all OXYL8 training courses, comprehensive training course handouts and support material will be provided with post-course access to the dedicated Delegate Area of this website where additional W201 Course resources are available.
W201 Course Content
- Introduction to occupational hygiene
- Human physiology
- Chemical hazard recognition
- Physical hazards recognition
- Hazard evaluation
- Control of hazards.
On successful completion of this W201 course module the delegate will have a basic understanding of:
- The value of occupational hygiene and the role of the occupational hygienist
- The range of hazards [physical and chemical] in the workplace
- Hazard recognition techniques
- Sources and potential routes of exposure
- Hazard evaluation, exposure assessment and the measurement processes
- Methods of controlling exposure
- The management of occupational hygiene programmes.
There are no educational pre-requisites for this W201 Basic Principles of Occupational Hygiene course. It is run as a 3-day taught course [minimum teaching hours 20] with revision/homework questions to be completed in the evenings.
The exam is in the form of a 20 short-answer question ‘open book’ on-line examination on the last afternoon with an allowed time of 60 minutes.
Who should attend?
- LEV plant designers
- LEV Examiners and testers
- Health and safety professionals
- Occupational health specialists (including physicians and nurses).
- Specialists who want a broader appreciation of how their role interfaces with other professions over health issues in the workplace, in subjects such as
- Human factors
- Occupational psychology
- Analytical chemistry.
Towards professional recognition?
A W201 certificate can be added to other BOHS modules e.g. P601 , P602 , P603 and P604 (in various combinations) to gain further professional recognition through BOHS (e.g. Certificate of Operational Competence (Control) – which permits the successful candidates to use the post-nominal letters ‘CoC Control’ after their name).
Bill Cassells BSc MPhil DSH CEng CMIOSH FIPlantE FSOE FRSPH RSP
Hazel Griffiths BSc CoC(Control) LFOH
Bill – http://www.linkedin.com/in/ bill-cassells-216a83b8
Hazel – https://www.linkedin.com/in/hazel-griffiths-862823a5/
The overall assessment for this module consists of an ‘open book’ written on-line examination with 20 short answer questions to be answered in 60 minutes.
£945 (+exam fee £140) + VAT / delegate