P601 – EXAMINATION AND TESTING OF LEV SYSTEMS
Please NOTE that the P601 Course is offered in both Webinar and Face-to-Face formats – and sometimes on the same set of dates. Webinars are conducted ‘live’ using the Zoom platform while face-to-face courses are held at the Hilton Hotel. Leicester.
When booking do make sure that you select the most suitable option for your delegates.
Payment is not required at checkout as Invoices will be sent approx 5-6 weeks before the course.
P601 is a comprehensive 4-day training programme which covers the theory and practice for LEV practitioners to undertake the Maintenance, Examination & Testing of LEV plant.
At the end of the course delegates will possess the fundamental knowledge of how to undertake a competent CoSHH Reg 9 “Thorough Examination and Test” (TExT) on LEV plant. The course follows closely the guidance outlined in HSE’s HSG258 (a copy of which will be provided as part of the course materials).
Upon completion of P601 course, delegates will be able to:
- Evaluate basic LEV systems.
- Understand basic design elements.
- Calculate airflows, velocities, etc.
- Complete CoSHH Reg 9 Statutory Examinations (TExTs).
- Select and use the appropriate LEV test equipment.
- Record TExT results in a suitable format.
Prior knowledge of LEV plant and be proficient in basic maths (eg. areas of circles, square roots, etc). No other specialist knowledge is necessary.
IS THE P601 TRAINING COURSE FOR YOU?
This course is ideal for engineers, supervisors, managers, health & safety professionals and technical staff involved in LEV plant specification, design, testing, checking or management.
Upon successfully completing the P601 LEV Course may then complete the remaining ‘P’ series courses which will contribute towards gaining a Certificate of Operational Competence in Control. This carries the privilege of being able to use the post-nominal letters ‘CoC (Control)’.
Completion of the ‘P’ series of LEV courses along with W201 or equivalent, may also make the candidate eligible for BOHS membership at Licentiate level (LFOH(S)). See BOHS for further details.
P601 COURSE PROGRAMME
- Legislation, ACoPs and Guidance.
- Principles of good control.
- The role and content of an LEV TExT Assessment.
- Sources and emissions
- Introduction to hoods
- Principles of Local Exhaust Ventilation (LEV)
- LEV system components (Hoods, Ducting, Filters, Fans etc)
- LEV systems (detailed considerations)
- Dilution ventilation/make-up air systems.
- Basic LEV design standards/Aerodynamics
- LEV Measurement and Testing practices/procedures
- Instrumentation and equipment
- Performance criteria for LEV
- Record keeping
- Short formative practical assessment (face-to-face or on-line).
- Revision for Written Practical examination
- Written Practical examination (2 hrs, “open book“)
- Revision for Written Theory examination
- Written Theory examination (1 hr 45m, “closed book“)
- Webinar course exams are taken ‘online’
£1300 (+exam fee of £265*) + VAT / delegate
* Exam Fees reviewed by BOHS Jan each year
We are confident you will find this LEV course invaluable for your work and for your professional development. Once you have completed P601 we hope to see you again at one of our other events!
Following on from the P601 course you may wish to consider the P604 Performance Evaluation and Management of LEV Systems course, or the OXYL8 P602 LEV Training Course as your next step?